2022 Graduate Student Spotlights

2022 Graduate Student Spotlights

headshot of Elizabeth Gordon

Elizabeth Gordon ’20 (ECS), ’22 MBA
Hometown: Radnor, Pennsylvania
Degree: MBA

“I decided to continue my education with Syracuse University because I loved my undergraduate experience here. My career goals are to learn as much as possible and one day start my own business. My dream is to start an all-female engineering firm. My MBA program at Syracuse will help me achieve my goals by giving me the background in entrepreneurship and the business acumen I’ll need to pursue this dream. Many professors and students have shared their experience and inspired me to be the best I can be and stand out in my field.”

headshot of Faye Johnson

Faye Johnson ’22 M.S.
Hometown: Huntsville, Alabama
Degree: M.S. in Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises

“I am currently serving my country in the U.S. Army as a company commander. Several service members I know attend Syracuse University and they recommended the program. My plan is to start a nonprofit for women, children and teens, giving them a safe place to sleep and a warm meal they otherwise wouldn’t have. Once I retire from the military, I plan to look for a building in the Washington, D.C., area and come up with a business plan to get my nonprofit started. The Whitman School has been a great foundation for me to start the business of my dreams.”

headshot of Matt Stockhaus

Matthew Stockhaus, ’22 MBA, ’22 M.S.
Hometown: Springfield, VA
Degree: MBA, M.S. in Business Analytics, Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in Data Science

“As an analytics professional in big tech, I specifically sought out a master’s program that would allow me to complete my graduate studies while still working full time. I chose the Whitman School because it was an exceptional opportunity to complete the MBA and M.S. in business analytics programs concurrently under the instruction of dedicated and experienced faculty. I have found that being bilingual in both business and analytics creates a greater impact within my organization and in my career path. To further challenge me and deepen my understanding of how data can move both people and business forward, I also completed a CAS in data science. I am grateful to have been able to be a part of a program that challenges students to think beyond textbooks and focus on how they can make a difference. Go Orange!”

headshot of George Kurian

Kurian George ’23 Ph.D.
Hometown: Trivandrum, Kerala, India
Degree: Ph.D. in Business Administration, specialization in Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises

“I joined Whitman’s Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises department to pursue an academic career in the field of entrepreneurship. I hope to carve a name for myself in entrepreneurship research, particularly research on immigrant entrepreneurship and the legitimacy of founders. I would also like to make teaching a fundamental component of my academic profile. During my time here, I have been able to learn from and work closely with some of the best scholars in the field. I believe that the training and close mentoring I received from Whitman faculty members will help me in my career as a researcher and teacher. My time here has helped me gain a much broader understanding of entrepreneurship as problem solving, and not just about small businesses. I have learned that entrepreneurship is particularly well suited to address complex societal problems because, by definition, entrepreneurial thinking requires us to deal creatively with uncertainty.”

Kimmy Kimball