– There’s no more core classes at 8 a.m. on Monday mornings
– You no longer shudder at the thought of networking – your “pitch” has been perfected over the course of a year
– You go from seeking advice to offering advice
– You don’t know what to do with the all the free time that’s suddenly at your disposal – career search, gym, nap, Netflix?
– You long for the winter because it’s finally skiing, snowboarding and tubing time!
Stepping out of my comfort zone, the vibrant city of Mumbai in India, has turned out to be one of the most enriching experiences of my life. After completing my undergraduate degree in business, I worked at a Big 4 consulting firm for over two years. However, the eagerness to advance my career and the curiosity to experience an independent life away from home led me to Syracuse University to pursue my MBA.
They say “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have”. This adage accurately reflects my experiences from Day 1 at Whitman as a Full-Time MBA student. From a grueling first week of orientation to a diverse set of courses with professors that really challenge you – each experience at Whitman makes you discover something new not only about the world, but also about yourself. And it also helps when you have a the type of support system that includes members of the Graduate Programs Office and the Career Centre, at your disposal to guide you at every step of the way – whether it be academic, personal or career concerns.
This past summer I interned at an IT consulting firm in New York City, where I worked on business development initiatives which can help the firm expand its business. A new elective called Business Analytics which was offered at Whitman for the first time in Spring 2014, helped me gain advanced excel and analytical skills which aided me tremendously to secure the internship and add value to the company. I now want to use these quantitative skills to develop actionable insights which can help clients address their marketing challenges, much like a marketing scientist.
And now it’s back to the grind! Courses are starting to build up and I am transitioning into my new role as the Program Coordinator for the Student Ambassadors initiative for Masters Students at Whitman. However, despite the hectic schedule, I spare time to enjoy the activities on and off campus, as that is an integral part of student life in the United States. From barbeques on the Quad to music festivals such as Juice Jam and Mayfest, SU definitely has something to keep everybody on their toes!
’15 MBA Candidate
Martin J. Whitman School of Management, Syracuse University
- My Fall Semester Consulting for Syracuse University - January 7, 2015
- Travel diary of a 2nd-Year MBA student - December 2, 2014
- You Know You’re a 2nd-Year Whitman MBA Student When… - September 24, 2014