Following the Marketing Day events at Syracuse University‘s Whitman School of Management on Oct. 23, the local chapter of the American Marketing Association hosted a student panel discussing internship experiences. The panel included five students bringing a range of experiences to the table including interning at CNN in Hong Kong, Uber, Staples and Converse. The panel focused on the overall internship experience, how they landed the position and any advice they would pass on to other students following in their footsteps.
Key takeaways from the panel are as follows:
- Pursue internships even as a freshman;
- Landing an internship takes persistence – don’t back down from your search;
- Company culture shouldn’t be overlooked – you want to like where you’re going to spend your days;
- In an interview, don’t be afraid to be relaxed because it will make everyone more comfortable;
- If interested in an internship abroad, visit the abroad center and respective adviser.
The SU chapter of AMA has recently been revitalized by two students – Joseph Howard and Josh Fyffe. These students saw a need to reinvent the club and give marketing students exposure to different guest speakers and industry-specific information. During the 2014-2015 school year, 6-8 students would attend meetings. This year, on a weekly basis there are 55-70 students regularly attending AMA meetings.
In addition, several committees have been formed to help get students involved with fundraising, community service and market research. The fundraising committee is currently working on a bake sale and 50/50 raffle to help raise funds for the club. The community service facet of AMA has partnered with WeThrive, which is a national non-profit meant to teach inner city children about the fundamentals of business and entrepreneurship. Furthermore, the market research committee works with the Stanley Law Firm on projects to help analyze the opportunity to expand into Rochester.
To get involved with AMA and all that they are doing in the community and in terms of professional development, contact Josh Fyffe or Joseph Howard to be added to the mailing list. Feel free to stop in to any of the AMA meetings, held in room 002 of Whitman every Tuesday at 7 PM.
Latest posts by Sarah Graham (see all)
- The Real Estate Apps You Need in Home-Buying Season - June 13, 2016
- Whitman School Professor John Petosa Weighs in on Martin Shkreli and Turing Pharmaceuticals - May 4, 2016
- Understanding Company Culture and Creativity - April 21, 2016