Whitman Voices

Introduction

Graduate Student Spotlights

Graduate Student Spotlights

Graduate Students

Graduate Student Spotlights

WENQI WU ’20

Wenqi Wu

Hometown: Changsha, Hunan, China
Degree: M.S. in Business Analytics

I really wanted to focus on the coding and technical parts of business analytics, and the Whitman program has allowed me the flexibility to refine my schedule to work for me. The faculty really supported me if I had questions or needed advice. The skills I learned allowed me to get an internship as a data analyst at DiDi Chuxing Technology. During the internship, I was able to utilize predictive models and statistical tests to provided actionable insights to senior managers. After graduation, I’m prepared to use my degree in my new role as a data analyst for an e-commerce company in Shanghai. Whitman has been a great experience for me.”

GRETA SWIFT ’20

Greta Swift

Hometown: Houston, Texas
Degree: MBA
Concentrations: Finance/Business Analytics

I had an undergraduate degree in sports management with minors in business and communication, but I thought an MBA would give me a wider range of possibilities. I came to Whitman, and I discovered data. My dad is a graduate of Whitman’s Executive MBA Program, and he suggested that I also take some finance classes. It was good advice, as you can’t operate in the business world if you don’t understand the financial value of something. I really enjoyed the combination of data and business analytics, and now I’m graduating as a more well-rounded businessperson. I’ve spent so much time learning, and now I’m ready to test my skills in the real world.”

PHYLICIA LEE ’20

Phylicia Lee

Hometown: New York, New York
Degree: MBA
Concentrations: Finance

I wanted to create a three- to five-year plan for myself, and an MBA aligned with my vision, but I didn’t know how I could do that without uprooting my life. When I learned about Whitman’s MBA@Syracuse online program, it wasn’t a difficult transition for me because my job is global right now. I really enjoyed the five residencies I attended, which allowed me to connect face-to-face with others in the program. MBA@Syracuse expanded my network, especially given all the Syracuse alumni in New York City. As I prepare to graduate, it’s given me the confidence to continue along my three- to five-year plan with more determination and now a well-diversified toolkit.”

JAMES BORT ’14 MBA, ’20 PH.D.

James Bort

Hometown: Syracuse, New York
Degree: Ph.D. in Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises

My first job was working under a serial entrepreneur. His work ethic and lifestyle really changed the way I viewed how entrepreneurs have a substantial degree of freedom in how they work and live. After earning my master’s at Whitman and working in IT for a while, I decided to pursue my Ph.D. in entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises. I love the work, but I love the people more. My colleagues have been awesome, and the faculty and administration have been so supportive. The job market at research intensive business schools is competitive, and the support at Whitman has been instrumental in helping me land a great position after graduation at the University of Missouri.”