Whitman Voices

Introduction

Student Profile: Manpreet Singh Saini ’21

Manpreet Singh

Student Spotlight: Manpreet Singh Saini ’21

Hometown: Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
Degree: MBA
Specializations: Finance and Business Analytics

Manpreet Singh Saini ’21 MBA earned a bachelor’s degree in information technology in 2015 from Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University in India. For the following four years, he worked as a marketing strategist at a startup company in New Delhi and gained exposure to business management, which prompted him to pursue an MBA.

“At my job, I got to see many aspects of running a business. I was really fascinated by it and always wanted to be able to manage more than just the technical aspect,” says Saini. He set his mind on a graduate degree when he began working with clients and getting involved in the business beyond the technology side.

Choosing the Whitman School made sense to Saini after weighing his options and seeing the variety of courses that it offers. He was also impressed by the academic rank of the MBA program and the placements that graduates were finding after completing their studies.

Saini describes himself as being a “numbers guy” and is eager to learn more about financial analysis and modeling as he continues his coursework. He says, “I have a special fascination with finance, hence the decision to take more finance courses here at Whitman.”

On campus, Saini has also sharpened his skills by working as a teaching assistant for Alex Thevaranjan, associate professor of accounting, helping to teach more than 300 students about accounting. He has also taken advantage of resources and programs that the Whitman School offers, such as the Bloomberg Market Concepts Certification.

After completing his MBA, Saini hopes to work in corporate finance at an emerging technology company. “As in the derivative market, change occurs rapidly,” he says of why that sector is exciting. Eventually, Saini would like to begin consulting, first in the United States and then expanding into Asia.

He praises the Whitman School for preparing him intellectually and socially for his future. “Whitman has helped me improve my communication and analytical skills and given me a stronger career network,” says Saini. “An MBA from the Whitman School will provide an additional knowledge base and network to pursue a career in corporate finance. By leveraging my academic and professional experiences, I know I will make critical financial decisions that will enable a technology company to successfully compete in a global marketplace.”

Maya Bingaman
Latest posts by Maya Bingaman (see all)