Whitman Voices

Introduction

Technology Coordinator’s Heart for Helping Reflects Whitman Core Values

Academic Technology Coordinator Brian Albanese has been working and volunteering since he was 14 years old — with a little push from his mother and grandmother. “They’ve always had a sense of serving the community,” he says of his inspirations. 

His mother’s work with a teen pregnancy prevention initiative called the ACT Program got him involved in volunteering from a young age. He has volunteered with this program for the past 14 years. Also, Albanese also served as a youth mentor with The Eastern Orleans Community Center, which was grant sponsored by Community Action of Orleans & Genesee County and AmeriCorps. 

Albanese says, “After I graduated from SUNY Brockport, I found my first professional job with Community Action. I worked there for a year or so as the only technical person at the organization.” 

“After Community Action, I applied to Syracuse University and was lucky enough to get the position of a computer consultant at the Whitman School,” says Albanese. “I started off performing tier-one help desk services for staff and faculty. After a year and a half, I was promoted to my current position overseeing all the student-facing aspects of computing, as well as managing Whitman’s computer labs and the Student Technology Center.” 

Albanese enjoys his work, especially within a university setting. “Learning is a lifestyle habit and working at such a prestigious university gives you tons of opportunity for professional development,” he says. 

This year, Albanese and the collective group of the information technology staff at the Whitman School earned the One Whitman Award, which is bestowed on individuals who embody Whitman’s core values — integrity, inclusion, collaboration, innovation and excellence. 

These values are apparent in Albanese, as he enjoys serving students and helping them resolve their technology problems. He says, “I truly enjoy interacting with the students. It’s nice to see tangible results and have someone come up to you in the hall and hear that he or she appreciated my work. When most students come in for help, they’re completely riddled with anxiety, and I like to show them there is indeed a favorable end solution.”  

Albanese hopes to continue to assist students in need of IT help. He says, “I would love to end up staying in higher education and maybe even become an instructor later on in my career.” 

If you have a suggestion for a future Staff Profile feature, please email the marketing communications team at  whitcomm@syr.edu.

Brian Albanese poses in the woods during a camping trip
Maya Bingaman