Whitman Voices

Introduction

Rachel DuBois Shares Her Passion for Her Work and Family

If spending a day at Syracuse University’s Martin J. Whitman School of Management, it’s likely you’ll run into Rachel DuBois, director of undergraduate recruitment. A familiar face to students, faculty and staff alike, DuBois is often seen in the halls of Whitman and always makes a point of engaging with the Whitman community whenever possible. 

As director of undergraduate recruitment, DuBois spends a large portion of her time talking to and meeting with prospective students and their families. She usually has two or three admissions sessions a day, during which she presents information about Whitman and answers questions visitors may have. She also spends time planning communications and marketing strategies with the marketing communications team. DuBois says, “A lot of it is just coming up with new and engaging ways to recruit a diverse, talented class of undergraduate students.” 

In addition to these roles, DuBois also manages the Whitman Ambassadors, a group of about 50 students who give tours of Whitman and interact with potential students. Working with the ambassadors, DuBois shares, is one of her favorite parts of her job. “They’re so passionate about their Whitman experience,” she explains. “They absolutely love talking and sharing about why they chose to come to Whitman and helping prospective and admitted students navigate their college decision and advocate for why Whitman might be a good fit.”

Where it All Started

DuBois grew up in the Syracuse area, but earned a B.S. in finance from the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, College Park. After receiving a degree, DuBois came to the realization that she had more of an interest in education and student development. She then moved back to the Syracuse area and earned an M.S. in higher education from Syracuse University’s School of Education

DuBois then began working at Syracuse University in early 2012, holding various roles over the years like academic advisor in Whitman. She says, “I initially decided to pursue a degree in higher education because I wanted to help college students be successful. That’s how my journey began in advising. I really love the student contact piece of it.”

After working in advising for six years, in the summer of 2018 she transitioned into her current role for recruitment. 

Though she has ended up in a more educational profession, DuBois says she wouldn’t change her degree in finance if given the opportunity. By having gone to a similarly structured business school, she is able to understand what current students are going through and what prospective students may be looking for. 

Beyond Whitman

Outside of work, DuBois dedicates most of her time to her family. She and her husband, who is also from the Syracuse area and attended SUNY-ESF, currently have two children, ages 3 and 5. “The majority of my time is spent caring for and playing with my two little ones,” she says. 

As for personal hobbies, DuBois enjoys working on home projects and renovations, or other activities related to interior design. Adding, “I also enjoy rooting for Syracuse sports teams and going to football and basketball games.”

But her favorite way to spend time, she says, is with family. “My most favorite thing to do is spend time with my kids and my extended family as well,” she explains. Both of her parents are local, as well as some members of her husband’s family. 

Working at Whitman, DuBois explains, is something that also brings her great joy in her life. “I love working at Whitman so much,” she says. “I love all of our Whitman students, faculty and staff. It’s easy for me to recruit students to a program that I truly believe in.”

If you have a suggestion for a future Staff Profile feature, please email the marketing communications team at whitcomm@syr.edu.

Mallory Carlson