Bring a Wealth of Global Knowledge to Your Company

Hiring an international student from the Whitman School of Management is an excellent way to bring some of the world’s best talent to your organization. The process is not very difficult and the advantages of hiring international students are immeasurable. A few of the business benefits include:

  • Broadening the diversity of ideas and perspectives of your teams through enhanced cultural understanding in a growing global market;
  • Enhancing your economic, scientific and technological competitiveness through increased variety in research, innovation and knowledge;
  • Drawing upon abilities to adapt to new situations and boost different team and corporate cultures.

Contrary to popular belief, the majority of paperwork needed to hire these students can actually be completed by the student, Syracuse University and USCIS (for OPT).

There are two primary hiring options when considering students on a F-1 student visa:

  1. Curricular Practical Training (internships/co-ops/project work)
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is authorized by the institution (NOT by USCIS) for F-1 students participating in curricular-related employment such as cooperative education, work-study, practicum and internship programs. It is a fairly simple process, with minimal distraction to the traditional hiring process.
  1. Optional Practical Training (full-time)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) must be authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) based on a recommendation from the designated school official (DSO) at the school which issued the I-20 to the student. OPT can be authorized for full time employment after completion of the course of study.
  • Students who obtain a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) may be eligible for an additional 24 months OPT extension. Whitman programs such as MS-Finance, MS-Supply Chain and MS-Business Analytics all qualify for this STEM extension.

Students on an F-1 visa may continue to be employed longer-term, by securing a H1-B visa. Candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in order to qualify for H-1B status. Individuals may work in the U.S. for a maximum of six years under an H-1B visa. This visa is valid only for employment with the company that petitioned for them. They must re-apply to the USCIS if they wish to change employers. As soon as the initial job offer is made, they should petition for an H-1B visa if employment is likely to extend beyond the practical training period.

To post your position for students of the Whitman School, go to, or call Sue Clayton at 315-443-5548.

To learn more about the international student hiring process, please reach out to the Whitman Career Center at 315-443-4140, or visit the USCIS website.

Kristen DeWolf
Latest posts by Kristen DeWolf (see all)