MBA Reflections: Lei Luo

0

In this “MBA Reflections” blog post series, we will be featuring the profile and thoughts of a select few Whitman MBA students graduating in May of 2016.

Episode 8: Lei Luo
Major: MBA – Marketing
Background: International business and trade, China University Mining and Technology
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lei-luo-46a6b3a2

Why an MBA?

I wanted the chance to gain a different learning experience and explore a new country by studying abroad. After working two years as a marketer, I realized my bachelor’s degree was not enough if I wanted to grow my career quickly and efficiently. I liked the fact that MBA students have the opportunity to obtain real-life experiences and build practical skills. After further research I realized that an MBA was perfect for my needs and aspirations.

Why Whitman?

I applied to five or six schools. Whitman had the best package in terms of student diversity, scholarships and experiences. I also spoke with a student ambassador from Whitman and Whitman professors about the class selection, which solidified my choice to come here.

What have you gained from your time at Whitman?

I learned to stand up for my ideas. Usually, I would compromise to keep the peace in group settings. However, sometimes a compromise can change the entire course of an assignment or project. So, I learned that being confident and standing by what you have to say is not the same as being aggressive.

Also, before the MBA experience I was good at managing my time. I got things done and I was organized but the MBA took my time management abilities to another level. As an MBA student every hour of every day must be pre-planned and committed to if you don’t want to go insane.

What is your most memorable moment from your time at Whitman?

In the spring of 2015, I was chosen by my class to receive the Tina Tubolino Memorial Award, an award that recognizes the person in the class that is always supportive and offers help. I was so shocked and honored. The words my classmates said were very heartwarming. It showed that putting a smile on a person’s face can make a difference.

Internship?

I was a marketing intern at a startup company here in Syracuse. Compared to my previous job experience, there was no hierarchy and an open office environment. Also, the startup was very cost centric. It was a very concentrated learning experience and I grew both personally and professionally.

Are your goals or plans different since starting your MBA?

No, I made sure that I knew what my goals were so that I could be working toward them when I moved across the globe for a degree.

What is your dream job?

I want to work in the market research field and in the long run be a professor so that I can give back in terms of knowledge.

Amal Mehic

Amal Mehic

Amal graduated from Oklahoma State University with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering. Following graduation, Amal worked as a project team member for OSU Engineers Without Borders, identifying and creating solutions for infrastructural issues faced by a village community in Honduras. She then worked for the Kansas Department of Transportation as an engineering associate, supervising bridge building sites and validated the bridge designs by other engineers. Amal also worked for Braden Manufacturing as an applications engineer, developing technical and visual engineering solutions to clients.
Amal Mehic

Latest posts by Amal Mehic (see all)

Share.

Leave A Reply